a deacon's heart. . .

Friday, April 24, 2009

A Must Read


Missional Renaissance: Changing the Scorecard for the CHURCH by Reggie McNeal

The subtitle to this book caught my attention while I was researching Leadership Materials on the internet. "Changing the Scorecard for the Church?" My husband Chris and I have this conversation quite often; in order for the church to be healthy,vital, and a transformation agent into the world, we must find new measurables. Looking at the statistical reports we are see a decline in Sunday school attendance while small group participation has grown and continues to grow. As a Christian Educator, this concerns me - sort of. I am hearing, reading, and witnessing that the traditional style of faith development is changing and the new styles of studying in smaller more intimate groups is on the rise. How then are we to measure the vitality of our church community?

Reggis McNeal's focus in this book is leading our churhes to become more missional. That may require us to make three major shilfts not only in our thinking but also in our behavior:


  • From internal to external in terms of ministry focus

  • From program development to people develpment in terms of core activity

  • From church-based to kingdom-based in terms of leadership agenda

How would you complete the following sentence: "I know my church is a missional congregation because. . .?"


This book has done more than catch my attention, it has totally captivated me! I must confess, I have reread the Introduction and first chapter more than once. Being missional communities of faith goes back to the life and examples of Jesus - listening, praying, playing, teaching, eating, healing, and loving folks where they are.


Go! Be the church to the world!


No comments:

Post a Comment