a deacon's heart. . .

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Leadership and Self Deception


getting out of the box
The Arbinger Institute

I like to consider myself one who thinks and lives outside the box. However, this read gracefully led me to a deeper examination of my own character encouraging me to reconsider which side of the box I actually do live in.

"Self-betrayal - is an act contrary to what we feel we should do for another." In other words, we know better but do it anyways. If I cut off someone in traffic, I not only have gotten in their space but potentially put their life in danger. Why then would I do such a thing when I know well the possible consequences. In other words, I have now put the other driver in a position to be aggressive, fearful, or just mad as heck, most likely an act contrary to what they feel they should be doing. So back to the question, why then do we do such things? We are probably functioning out of fear, self-doubt, jealousy, preoccupation, to name a few hopefully contrary to our core!

If we know better, why then do we continue this behavior?
How do we break this cycle of putting others in the box?
If I am functioning in the box, am I building up the body of Christ with my behaviors?

Leadership and Self-Deception is an easy read. Not as complicated as it sounds!
If you find yourself in any leadership role or if you are willing to take a deeper look within, I recommend this resource. It would also be a good read for a team to read together.

Check it out and let me know if you were surprised at what you learned.
Blessings of discovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment