a deacon's heart. . .

Friday, August 7, 2009

I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. . .



"Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you? And the king will answer them, truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me."
Matthew 25:31-46


While on a mission trip out on the Navajo reservation, we were cleaning around a medical clinic, painting the fence around the cemetery, and building a wheel chair ramp for a local church. The temperature was over 100 degrees with absolutely no humidity. When you live in an area with relatively high humidity, you know that humidity intensifies the heat index. When no humidity is present, the heat feels very different - still hot, but different. You must continually hydrate your body or else. . .I was thirsty and the Christ in someone else shared with me something to drink, which most likely kept me from experiencing dehydration and numerous other complications.

What about those in our midst that are desperately waiting for the Christ in us to share with them something to drink? You know who they are, we drive by them, walk past them ignoring their pleas for help. They offer to work for us in lieu of something to eat and drink. We are a spoiled society. . .

Did you know:

  • The cost of just one case of bottled water water could supply a person in Kenya with clean, safe drinking water for the next 5 years! One case - that is 24 bottles of water.

  • Every year over $100 Billion dollars is spent on bottled water world-wide.
  • The United Nations estimates that if given just 1/6th of that money for one year, $15 billion, they could cut in half the number of people without access to clean water.
Jesus calls us to quench the thirst of all creation.
Be the Living water
Share the Living water. . .
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink
I was thirsty. . .
You, yes you, quenched my thirst for life, for love, for hope
The thirst is real
desperate
you gave,
yes
you


No comments:

Post a Comment