a deacon's heart. . .

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Holy Curiosity. . .


Encountering Jesus' Provocative Questions

By: Winn Collier

I love books that challenge my assumptions and established way of thinking.I love finding resources that create a desire within to carry the book around just in case I find a couple of extra minutes in my day to pull it out and read. I get excited when I have to read a paragraph, quote, or sentence more than once, twice, or beyond.

I found such a resource in Winn Collier's book: Holy Curiosity, Encountering Jesus' Provocative Questions. Collier takes scripture and challenges our common wisdom in reading the text. He gives you eyes to see it from another angle, so far, angles I have not imagined before. I am still wrestling with some of his wisdom. It is taking me deep within. . . far beyond my knowing and connecting more with my being. I am finding his writing to be honest, confessional, as well as challenging.

Who Condemns You? Why Are You Afraid? Are You Being Willfully Stupid? These are just a few of the chapters you will find in this resource.
Jesus' questions probed the soul, and they were not easily ignored. [14] Why do we think we can ignore them or simply gloss over them?

I hope you will find your way to adding Holy Curiosity to your collection of resources. I will be surprised if you do not find yourself filing it under, inspirational, insightful, and provocative.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Gloria. I am really encouraged that you've found a friend in the pages. And thanks for passing the word along.

    peace.

    ReplyDelete