a deacon's heart. . .

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Going Green. . .


The Green Bible

I have to admit, I could not wait to purchase a copy of The Green Bible. Going green is all the rage right now - as it should be and should have been for thousands of years. So I hold this new addition in my hands - feels nice as it should since the cover is made of all natural cotton & linen. The pages are made of 10% post consumer content [recycled] and they used a soy based ink for printing. This Bible really is nice to hold, the cover is flexible/bendable and I like that. After all, if this is something I will be using most every day of my life, I want it to work for me. This Green Bible works for me!!!!!!

I love the opening Canticle of the Creatures - Saint Francis of Assisi, the forward by Archbishop Desmond Tutu as well as the introduction by J. Matthew Sleeth and others. All the scripture references connected to God's creation are printed in green. I did find one scripture that was left our of the green print: Psalm 23. oops!

The Fishing Hole is going green! Sonja has been working dilgently with other "like minded folks" to offer workshops, resources, and links that will help enable you and your congregations to go green. All the cool people are doing it! Check out the resource center at the WNCC Annual Conference on the second floor of the Terrace Hotel.

I recommend this resource for children, youth, young adults, maturing adults, families. . . well in other words, everyone!

"Additional resources include website links, group study and action guides, and a concordance that focuses on the environment. I wish that commentaries were also included with the biblical content, but that's my only major critique. This is a Bible you definitely need to have on your desk, in your church library, and in your congregants' hands!" Sally Holscher (You can view a video about it on YouTube here.)

Let me know what you think - ready to go green? Like I said, all the cool folks are doing it. . . don't get left out! gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment