a deacon's heart. . .

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Remembering. . .



A Day of Remembering

My husband Chris and I are not big NASCAR fans, however yesterday we found ourselves in the thick of folks who live for race time each year. We were offered free tickets to the race from a sweet young couple not able to attend due to the inclement weather on the regularly scheduled race day. So, we grabbed out sunglasses, bottles of water, pretzels and headed to the race.


I confess I spent as much time watching people as I did the race. Can't help it! I love to watch people interact with one another; family, friends, and yes couples. It fascinated me how the spectators all seemed so connected one to another be it through a heart for their favorite driver, favorite beverage or just a plain old love for the sport. However, at three o'clock in the afternoon, every spectator, member of a pit crew, driver, stopped for 30 seconds of silence to remember those who have given their lives for our safety and freedom. It was quiet a sight to behold. We have many common threads connecting our lives with the rest of creation. It is a beautiful thing when we stop long enough to drink in the beauty it holds.


May we all give God thanks each and every day for these folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment