a deacon's heart. . .

Monday, May 18, 2009

Call and Response. . .






Intrepretation of Scripture in Cultural Context?



I was with the Asheville District yesterday for the Pre-Annual Conference Briefing and Laity recognition. During my time there, I had the wonderful opportunity to meet many folks but one stands out in my mind this morning. Lena, a lovely Native American woman who passionatley loves the Native People and works hard to preserve their history and leagacy.


Lena and I began talking about cultures, traditions, ways-of-life if you will. We then spoke about the intrepretation of scripture and its revelance in cultural context for which it is being read. I suppose that is my questions for you this morning: Have you ever given this any thought?

  • Is it possible for scripture to be intrepreted differently given the difference of our customs and ethnicity?
  • Are we aware of the diversity in our worlds, communities, and churches?
  • Is so, what are you doing to honor this diversity as the whole body of Christ?
  • If not, are you willing to look at customs, traditions, and scripture as though you were the one living in a foreign land. . . for I was hungry and you feed me, I was thristy and you gave me something to drink, I was sick and in prison and you visited me, I was naked and you clothed me, and I was a stranger in a foreign land and you welcomed me! Matthew 25:31-40

Share your story. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment