a deacon's heart. . .

Thursday, September 29, 2011

sacred journey. . .

Some invitations we simply cannot explain. . . you just know you have to say yes! That is exactly how I felt when Anne Looney from Springfield Tennessee asked me to create a funeral pall in memory of her mother Honey King. She wanted to offer an alternative option for people who could not afford the expensive flower spray. Before I had time to think about the depth of this commitment, I had already agreed to her invitation. . . I cannot expalin why, I just did. I had never created a funeral pall before nor had I created a piece this large. Again, I just knew I was suppose to accept this invitation without fear.

Anne's mother Honey King lived 100 years of life and from what I understand, almost lived to be 101. I don't know much about Honey, but I do know her legacy of joy, life, and spirit are alive in her daughter Anne, and her grandaughter Katie Henry. Judging from their eyes, her love and life must have been great. In fact, when Chris and I delivered this piece to Anne on our way home from Lousiville Ky today, Katie and her husband Jackson met us at the house to see thecommissioned memorial to her grandmother.

We left Anne's home blessed by her hospitality, welcome, reception, and love, all of which I am certain she expereinced from her mother Honey. Being with Anne, Katie, and Jackson was like being bathed in a shower of grace and love. A most blessed expereince in time. . .

and so, as I look back on why the Spirit of God was nudging me to say yes to this opportunity, I have a clearer picture.
Thank you Anne,
thank you Katie & Jackson,
thank you Lord for trusting me with this sacred privlege.

No comments:

Post a Comment