a deacon's heart. . .

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Preoccupied with the final destination. . .

I ran one of the Charlotte Greenway tracks with our daughter Bethanye and our son-in-love Scott Allen yesterday. We started our run together however, within a matter of 10 seconds, their running pace left me looking like I was out for a Sunday stroll in the park. It had been four days since my last run so it took me a little longer than normal to settle into my groove. The cool morning air was burning my lungs, my muscles were stiff from too many hours of sitting in the car, my running partner was not with me that day as he recovered from a calf injury, and I had maybe had one too many cups of coffee before I ran. With that said, I felt like I was struggling more than normal. . . it was more work than it was fun.

I found myself looking for every 1/4 mile marker while hoping to "just make it one more 1/4" when I realized about three-quarters of the way through my run that I had become so focused on getting to the next marker that I was totally missing the journey. The path was absolutely beautiful, tree lined to provide shade for the trail. Some of the old trees were wrapped around other trees like an iron sculptor had spent months crafting this beauty to behold. The air that was burning my lungs was cool with a low level of humidity, just what I was praying for two weeks ago. The others runners were polite even encouraging.

WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS I THINKING? I was so focused on "making it" that I was totally missing the fact that I had already made it by just "being there." I spent the last 1/3 of the run taking in the created world all around me and praying God would forgive me for taking it all for granted.

So, what did I learn from the experience yesterday you ask. . . I realized that too many days of my life are spent getting to the next thing instead of taking in all that the created world has to offer me. I was not even giving God a chance to shower me with blessings - so as a result of my spiritual V8 moment (those are Chris' words) I have vowed to the best of my ability to pay attention. . . to life, people, the created world, the needs, the joys, the laughter, the love.
Soooo, how about you? How are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment