a deacon's heart. . .

Friday, July 31, 2009

Five Finger Gospel. . .


"Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you? And the king will answer them, truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me."
Matthew 25:31-46
I was hungry and you gave me something to eat. . . instantly I think of food. I am always thinking of food - I suppose it is why I am a lifetime member of weight watchers! I have fasted, intentionally or unintentionally skipped a meal for a variety of reasons, however, I have never experienced the lack of some type of nourishment to feed my body. This is not boasting, merely confessing that I do not know what it feels like to be so hungry that I would do just about anything for the substance.
The folks at our new church home, Milford Hills UMC have and continue to bless us with food. Fresh food from their gardens, homemade cobblers, meals, and even an old time pounding to help stock out pantry. They have modeled out radical hospitality to our family in ways we have not known before. . . we are certainly blessed.
I am also thinking of another type of hunger, maybe one that I can relate to more readily than something I put in my mouth. Oddly enough, it is food that came from the mouth of others. I have experienced times in my life when I was starving for the spoken words of love, encouragement and hope. I wanted so desperately to hear these words that I worked extremely hard to fill that emptiness with other things. . . some not so healthy. I felt as though my soul was starving. My husband Chris reminded me "there are folks starving for a sense of worth, to feel as though their life has value and meaning." If you have ever had anyone dismiss or diminish the quality of your life, you have expereinced a taste of what he is talking about.
I was hungry and you gave me something to eat.
I was hungry and you fed me.
I was hungry.
You acknowledged me.
You spoke to me.
You whispered words of love to me.
You fed me.
You. . .
May the eyes of our hearts be opened to those in our midst - our world - who are starving for food; whatever that look like.
May the peace of Christ be with you.
gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment